Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Peacock


PEACOCK
The Peacock is a sacred bird in many cultures. Special companion to the goddesses Hera and Juno, and to the Indian god Murugan, the peacock is usually thought of as a symbol of vanity, but these birds, which are a species of pheasant, are also honored in India as one of the few creatures which can hunt and kill the deadly Cobra. The Kurdish Jezidi considered the peacock to be a messenger of God.
The peacock in mythology is often identified with - or even considered identical to - the Phoenix. The Phoenix and the Peacock both symbolize resurrection and life after death. The Egyptians thought of the Phoenix as an emblem of Ra, the Sun God. St. Augustine believed that the peacock's flesh, like that of a saint, would not decay, and early Christians believed that a peacock's blood would repel evil spirits.
The information and Photo I collected for this came from:
There is a long story as to why I people now associate me with Peacocks so that's why I added this here : P Maybe if I get enough people to ask me about it I'll write my little story here for all to see...rofl
Aud

No comments: